INFLECTED.CASE-FLAG and obligatory/optional position classes

I do not remember having this issue with any of my illustrative grammars, but now that I am modifying the sample sahaptin [uma] grammar, I am seeing the following.

I create an obligatory position class for nouns, for case. I say that any noun can be input to this class, and also the daughters of nominalization position class. The nominalization position class is optional of course.

The grammar comes out, and it wants case on any verb…

Is this what I should expect? So, I can’t really say the case position class is obligatory if I want nominalized verbs to go through it?..

Anyway, here’s what I get:

verb-lex := basic-verb-lex & non-mod-lex-item & case-rule-dtr &
  [ ARG-ST.FIRST #subj &
                 [ LOCAL [ CAT cat-sat &
                               [ VAL [ SPR < >,
                                       COMPS < > ] ],
                           CONT.HOOK.INDEX #xarg ] ],
                   CAT [ VAL [ SPR < >,
                               SPEC < >,
                               SUBJ < #subj > ],
                         HEAD.NMZ - ] ],

So, I should probably create an additional position class and say it is optional?.. Then things work…

How about saying the position class is optional, but it’s required by (a) nouns and (b) the nominalization position class?

I don’t think we can put noun pcs on the require constraints for verb pcs (We should file a bug and fix this later), but you can put the require constraint on the noun lexical types. I did run into a similar issue and I ended up making two separate case position classes: one for nouns and one for nominalized verbs. I didn’t make the one for nominalized verbs obligatory, because in my case, it didn’t have to be, but in your case, I’m guessing it is?