Jacy and Zhong names

What is the meaning and the history (?) of the names of the two grammars?

Jacy was originally “JApanese in Cooperation with YY” where YY technologies was a company that Dan was associated with for many years, as well as some other DELPH-INites.

Zhong, I believe, is 中, the first character of 中文 (Zhōngwén), which means Chinese.

1 Like

Thanks! And was there a reason to spell Jacy like that (as opposed to JACY)?

Well, the work on Jacy continued long past the end of YY, so I think it was a) an aesthetic choice and b) an effort to distance from the origin of the acronym.

1 Like

As Emily said, Zhong originally means 中 in Chinese character (‘center’ in English). The basic idea of the name was such that the grammar covers the different types of the Chinese languages such as Mandarin Chinese, Taiwanese Chinese, Cantonese, etc. Basically, the name, Chinese, is politically and socio-culturally made, rather than linguistically. So, Zhong consists of the common grammatical statements across the Chinese languages and the divergent parts.

Sanghoun

1 Like

Hi,

Emily is right about both names (of course). I think we decided to go with just Jacy as it made the text easier to read than having JACY jump out in a block. Although in the book we actually went with: \newcommand{\jacy}{{\smaller\textbf{Jacy}}\xspace} (bold, once font size smaller), to make it standout without being too intrusive.

1 Like