Russian "which": det vs modifier

The word “which” is typically analyzed as a determiner (e.g. in the ERG). In Russian, I can of course do that as well and this will account for sentences like (1):

(1)  Kakuju      knigu        Ivan         chitaet?
     which.acc   book.acc     Ivan.nom     read.3sg
"Which book is Ivan reading?" [rus]

My question is, will I be able to use the determiner lexical type to account for sentences like (2):

(1)  Kakuju      Ivan     chitaet  knigu?
     which.acc   Ivan.nom read.3sg book.acc          
"Which book is Ivan reading?" [rus]

Or does this necessitate treating “which” as an adjunct? How do I reason about this?

It can still be a determiner! What these examples show is that, unlike in English, “pied-piping” over the NOM by the wh determiner is not required in Russian.

Not disagreeing, simply looking for the right angle: How do I reason about the fact that which seems to “stand in” for, say, adjectives? Ivan is reading a red book. – Which book is he reading?

Is it compatible with determiners? If not, then it’s not “standing in” for adjectives. It’s just that adjectives are optional, and of course, semantically are one way to narrow the range of referents…

You could also answer which book is he reading? with Kim’s book.

1 Like

I guess my problem is that it is hard for me to say what a determiner is in Russian. I suppose words like this and that, in which case you could in principle say:

Kakuju etu knigu?
which  this book?

– but only in special circumstances, like if you were echoing: He is reading THIS bookWhich “THIS” book?

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a convincing case of an equivalent of which that had to be analyzed as an adjective. Maybe go with determiner as the default hypothesis until shown otherwise?