Segmentation fault when parsing with ACE 0.9.32

I’m using the latest version of ACE to compile a grammar and parse test items, but I get a segmentation fault:

-bash-4.2$ ./ace-0.9.32/ace -g grammars/abz/abz1/ace/abz1_0932.dat -Tf
Segmentation fault

When I compile the same output from the matrix with ACE 0.9.31 I’m able to run the above command and get readings for input test sentences, but for some reason 0.9.32 won’t let me parse individual items.

In addition to this, when I try to get parses for a whole test suite using art with ACE 0.9.31 I get something like this:
Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 3.28.00 PM

But using the same data and ACE 0.9.32 I get this:
Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 3.29.44 PM

The fact that I wasn’t getting readings is why I was trying to test single sentences with ACE. @sweaglesw Do you have any idea why this might be happening?

Unfortunately I am not in a position to debug this currently and due to extenuating circumstances I don’t know exactly when I will be. It certainly looks like I introduced a new bug in 0.9.32. I will look into it when I can but it may be some time; sorry!

The 0.9.32 release included some “improvements” with the side effect that loading a grammar with no maxent model (these don’t exist in my regression tests…) caused a segfault at startup. I just posted 0.9.33, which contains (only) the fix for this bug. Please let me know whether this resolves the problem you are seeing!

Thank you, Woodley!

Hi @sweaglesw, in http://sweaglesw.org/linguistics/ace/ I didn’t see the macOS binary, any special reason? I will try to compile from the source later, should checking if something blocked you for compiling on MacOS.

Maybe @trimblet would like to update the brew formula too? I created an issue at https://github.com/dantiston/homebrew-delphin/issues/4

Hi! Thank you so much. It’s getting further than the previous segmentation fault, but now there’s a new error, but this could very well be an issue with the way I’m running the command. First I tried running ACE on its own on the command line:

./ace-0.9.33/ace -g grammars/yaq/ace/yaq.dat -Tf
Juan nooka
ERROR: DEADLY SIGNAL! sent = `Juan nooka'

Then I tried using ART (which is what I use most of the time anyway to run my full profiles) and something similar happened:

art-0.1.9/art -a 'ace-0.9.33/ace -g grammars/yaq/ace/yaq.dat' output_dir/profiles/yaq
art...
reading results for                0	0 results
reading results for               10	0 results
reading results for               20	0 results
reading results for               30	0 results
reading results for               40	0 results
reading results for               50	0 results
reading results for               60	
out of sync; arbiter sent 'ERROR: DEADLY SIGNAL! sent = `huevena-kai !'' when expecting a SENT or SKIP header.
failed to read result for 60

Hmm, well clearly there are more issues. Can you provide the grammar in question so I can reproduce the crash?

I sent an email with a tar.gz file of the grammar that I used for the above tests.