Semantics of embedded questions

I am interested in the argumentation that is behind e20’s SF value in sentences like below:

Doesn’t the wh-word in embedded clauses like this one function more in a relative sense, I wonder about the thing which you read? And the question semantics would be associated more with sentences like I wonder: What did you read?

Where should I read up on this? So far didn’t find anything in Ginzburg and Sag (though perhaps I didn’t look well enough). Or is there an informal argument someone could offer me here? Perhaps a DELPH-IN discussion from previous years (but I don’t think it would be the Oslo one)?

The sentence here is I wonder what you read, right? I think this is not akin to a relative clause, but has to do with what the semantics of the verb does with the embedded question. I’m sure there’s actual literature on this (that I’m not familiar with), but contrast:

• I wonder what you read.
  • I asked what you read.
  • I know what you read.
  • BAD: I think what you read.

It seems to me that wonder S is saying something like “wonder about the answer to the question S” and know S is something like “knows the answer to the question S”, where ask S is “ask question S”. In all cases, there’s an embedded question, but the matrix verb relates to it differently. The verb think on the other hand can’t take a quesiton as a complement at all.