Understanding the ACE parser Output for "She broke her own hand"

Hi,

I am a beginner and trying to understand the ACE parser output.
When parsing the sentence ‘She broke her own hand’ , I couldn’t get any link for the word “her” and “own”. Since it is explicitly understood in the sentence.

For your reference, I am using ‘erg-2018’ grammar, as I was not able to compile the ‘erg-2020’ grammar file.(Any help for that will also be useful).
Below is the ACE parser output.

She broke her own hand.
SENT: She broke her own hand.
[ LTOP: h0
INDEX: e2 [ e SF: prop TENSE: past MOOD: indicative PROG: - PERF: - ]
RELS: < [ pron<0:3> LBL: h4 ARG0: x3 [ x PERS: 3 NUM: sg GEND: f IND: + PT: std ] ]
 [ pronoun_q<0:3> LBL: h5 ARG0: x3 RSTR: h6 BODY: h7 ]
 [ _break_v_cause<4:9> LBL: h1 ARG0: e2 ARG1: x3 ARG2: x8 [ x PERS: 3 NUM: sg IND: + ] ]
 [ def_explicit_q<10:13> LBL: h9 ARG0: x8 RSTR: h10 BODY: h11 ]
 [ poss<10:13> LBL: h12 ARG0: e13 [ e SF: prop TENSE: untensed MOOD: indicative PROG: - PERF: - ] ARG1: x8 ARG2: : 3 NUM: sg GEND: f IND: + PT: std ] ]
 [ pronoun_q<10:13> LBL: h15 ARG0: x14 RSTR: h16 BODY: h17 ]
 [ pron<10:13> LBL: h18 ARG0: x14 ]
 [ _own_a_1<14:17> LBL: h12 ARG0: e19 [ e SF: prop TENSE: untensed MOOD: indicative PROG: bool PERF: - ] ARG1: x8
 [ _hand_n_1<18:23> LBL: h12 ARG0: x8 ] >
HCONS: < h0 qeq h1 h6 qeq h4 h10 qeq h12 h16 qeq h18 >
ICONS: < > ]
NOTE: 1 readings, added 1349 / 260 edges to chart (102 fully instantiated, 108 actives used, 70 passives used)  R

Thanks,
Sriram

There’s no direct link, that’s true. The _own_a relation is directly linked to the _hand_n_1 relation, and the pron relation is linked to the poss relation which is linked to the _hand_n_1 relation.

What have you tried? See this thread for some possible pitfalls.

Thanks @guyemerson for your help. I could now compile the Erg-2020 grammar file.

Yes, I understood this. In this way the words ‘she’, ‘own’ and ‘hand’ are connected. But still the word ‘her’ is not connected to ‘she’.
Please let me know if my understanding is correct ?

Thanks,
Sriram

That’s great!

Yes, there is no direct link. As I mentioned in the other thread, ACE+ERG does not perform coreference resolution.

Sorry There was a TYPO in my previous email:

I meant Yes, I understood this. In this way the words ‘her’ , ‘own’ and ‘hand’ are connected.

But still the word ‘her’ is not connected to ‘she’. Please let me know if my understanding is correct ? Thanks, Sriram