What is the complementizer FORM for?

Hi! I had some difficulties with the Form value drop-down menu on the complementizer page of the customization questionnaire. I wrongly assumed that this parameter referred to the embedded verb’s form. As @olzama explained to me here, this parameter refers to the form of the complementizer. For example, one can specify that the Form of that is “that”.
I would like to share my experience with this aspect of the Clausal complements page of the questionnaire in the course of the implementation of a grammar for Portuguese. This might be helpful for other new bees like myself with an LFG background.
In Portuguese, different strategies are used in clausal complementation, e.g.:

(1) A Maria lamenta que os cachorros tenham morrido.
Mary regrets that the dogs have.SBJV;PRS;3PL die.PTCP;PST
(2) A Maria lamenta os cachorros terem morrido.
Mary regrets the dogs have.INF;3PL die.PTCP;PST
‘Mary regrets that the dogs have died.’
(3) A Maria disse que os cachorros tinham morrido.
Mary said that the dogs have;IND;IPFV;3PL die.PTCP;PST
‘Mary said that the dogs had died.’

In (1) and (3), the embedded verb is finite and the complementizer is que ‘that’. While in (1) the mood of the embedded verb must be subjunctive, in (3) it must be indicative. In (2) we have an idiosyncrasy of Portuguese, the inflected infinitive, without any overt complementizer.
My grammar didn’t produce the expected results when I assigned the Form feature the values inflected_infinitive or finite. The parser didn’t crash, but the mood selection by the main verb was not enforced.
This problem was solved leaving the Form value unspecified, as shown by @olzama. I’ve tested the grammar on a large number of grammatical sentences and ungrammatical constructions with the expected results.

2 Likes

Thanks for this summary, @leoalenc !

1 Like