Repeated emails

FYI: I am aware of the repeated email notifications and am trying to do something about it :). (I don’t know what should be done, yet).

Is anybody getting repeated email notifications for this post? So far, I am getting repeated emails only for one post. I wonder what’s going on…

I was getting repeated emails for the “Using ERG for information extraction” thread.

The admin dashboard says that “There are 6320 email jobs that failed. Check your app.yml and ensure that the mail server settings are correct. See the failed jobs in Sidekiq.” I suspect Discourse believes that emails have failed to be sent, when in fact they have been sent. I think we should first try updating Discourse to the most recent version.

It sort of constantly requires updating, so I do that every now and then (and then I need to ask Brandon (the UW admin) to reload the app…) I don’t think we need to worry about updating it every day or anything like that.

Yeah, I have no idea what the 6K failed jobs are about. The settings in app.yml look correct. Let’s see if that actually causes any problems.

The ERG-thread emails stopped, right? There was a specific job that I killed for that.

The error message (for all the failing jobs I have looked at, but there are thousands) is:

Jobs::HandledExceptionWrapper: Wrapped ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: PG::UndefinedColumn: ERROR: column email_logs.skipped does not exist LINE 1: SELECT COUNT(*) FROM "email_logs" WHERE "email_logs"...

So there is either something wrong in the database, or something wrong with that function. I can’t find anything on a Google search.

The number of failed jobs started spiking from 13 August. Did you install an update then?

It looks like “skipped” emails were changed recently (e.g. see https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/db/migrate/20180720054856_create_skipped_email_logs.rb), so it could be that our database hasn’t migrated correctly.

Yes, hopefully merely upgrading the docker will help… Alas, I cannot upgrade it myself at the moment because of the UW permissions :(. Have to wait for Brandon (our admin) to do that; that has been inconvenient for both him and me…

And you are continuing getting the emails, Guy?

I haven’t got any since I killed the jobs in Sidekiq. It looks like there haven’t been any new email failures since.